Sunday, November 8, 2009

Open ID

Didn't like the Vidoop video....didn't like the name either, for my OpenID I want something that sounds strong, dependable and safe, not geeky and wannabe! However, I have LONGED for a "one password fits all" set-up, and would happily have a chip implanted in my wrist if it would make life easier. Back in 2000 my son worked at Rainbow's End and their login was a thumbprint. Softlink's Alice programme also had a fingerprint option, so if a patron forgot their library card, no problem - and also no danger of students borrowing each other's cards and racking up fines, though that was a good life lesson :) I'm more than happy to have my DNA, retinal scans, fingerprints etc. stored for perpetuity, and if that meant I could just blink at my computer to start it up, so much the better. Google is the closest thing to easy-access worldwide, and I can see why Gmail is so popular as it's so wonderfully portable. Somehow my remote Yahoo access when I'm overseas doesn't give me the warm fuzzies that Gmail does - is it strange to have such a personal response to a technological innovation? What would have happened if someone had said "This wheel is too round, let's make it square instead"? So yes, OpenID - bring it on........

No comments:

Post a Comment